Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Instead of talking about FYP now, I am gonna talk about a movie I have watched recently..a movie, which I thought was good =) Well well well, I cant be talking about the stupid FYP all the time right? I need a life lol...

Anyway, I didnt have any intention to watch 881..cos to me, its just another local movie...and I can admit to you that I am not a local movie lover..and I am not into Jack's movie...not even one of them, in fact, I find them commercialised...and I am not sure if its due to the influence of my understanding chinese cinema module lecturer..I must say that this module allows me to learn a lot about movies..and it also made me learn about this person called Roystan Tan, who is also a film maker in Singapore, also the director for 881.

In the past, I see movies as movies...and I always cant catch the underlying meaning cheem movies...maybe I dont prob into them as much as I do for chinese songs hahaha...for those who knows me well should know that I love to look at lyrics and analyse them hahaha...in my own ways of course hahaha..anyway back to movies...After attending this understanding cinema shows, I realised that there are a lot of hidden meaning in movies, like for example, water represents sub conscious or a person's desire...Anyway, I quite like Roystan after attending the understanding chinese cinema module,(because I am really impressed after my teacher analyse his previous work,'15' in class), but I didnt know his chinese name hahaha...so when I saw the name, Chen Zi Qian, the director for 881, I was wondering who is this person hahaha...

I went to watch this movie cos I can tell that my mum really wanna watch the movie......and after watching the movie, I decided to rate this movie as one of the best movie I have watched this year...

The reason for the good rating is because...firstly, I am a very music person...i.e., anything about music => good hahaha...therefore, I am somewhat biased to music related movies..(also the reason why I thought music and lyrics is a nice movie too hahaha)...actually I feel that this movie is more like a musical...hahaha..with non stop singing...its like 3/4 of the movie is about singing...but duh, this movie is supposed to be about ge tai...so it justifies why it constantly shows singing scenes hahahah...Anyway, I find that the success of the movie is attributed to the music producer of this show...cos all the songs are nice and meaningful...and they blend together very well...making it a very successful musical...

Actually I feel that when it comes to a music related movie, or rather, musicals, hmm they often have very extreme outcome, either people think that its really good, or people have this not-there feeling...and for this movie, to me, it belongs to the really good category...

Besides being a nice musical with nice music, it also bring out a unique side of Singapore...the ge tai culture...hahaha...a ge tai culture that is very much to our own...I used to like ge tai when I was very young...then I felt that they are a little bit annoying when I grow older..cos its very loud at noisy if u stay near the place where they have their ge tai...but this show does bring back my memory of ge tai...and it brings back good memories that make me miss ge tai..lol...

Besides that, I think it also bring out another point of SG, the somewhat education oriented country..Although its good to nuture every single citizen to become well educated people, but we cant deny that in the process of doing so, it leaves some citizens, who are uneducated marginalised...its like, if you dont have a degree, then you will have different treatment...in the 9pm drama I saw today, the girl said something like "he is a university student, of course I will believe him rather than u la" to a hawker...In the show, the small papaya always seem so inferior for being uneducated...but the question is...are the educated always right???

I personally dont think so...maybe they are right...sometimes...but not all the time..Yes, education makes us more knowledgeable..and is supposed to help us act more logically in certain sense...but in the pursue of higher education, one has to also try to establish other things beyond our book...such as, learning how to handle relationship with friends and family...because, whats the point of having a degree or rather, so called high education...when u cant even do the basic?
Besides that, I realised that there is also a tendency of different attitude when one obtain his degree...and there is also a different treatment to university and non university graduates...and I am sad to say that I really feel that it is our society that made us have this mindset in us, that university grads are more superior to non university grad, which therefore brings us back to the question of marginalised people due to the failure the meet society's expectation...and in a way, I see this being reflected in this movie as well...

Besides that, if u were to notice, all the songs sang by the singers are very sad song..like how they lead their sad life...so does it imply that being ge tai singers are deemed as sad jobs?Bescause they are not educated jobs? Its not meant to be offensive...sorry if I sounded offensive, I am just following the style of how my teacher analyse...

Small papaya, as seen in the show has a very sad life...her parents died when she was young, and she was expected to die ata young age...but yet, she is always smiling...she is always strong and happy...whereas in contrast, big papaya seemed to be the weaker one...although her life as compared to small papaya is much better...aint these two girls a big contrast? Perhaps life is such an irony that those who had the worst of life are the strongest while those who had the best of life are the weaker ones..

Another reason why I love Roystan Tan's movie is because, it is not afraid to show the ugly side of our society...which other director wont show in their movies...anyway, to sum it up...I have to say that although I am happy to live in a society where the govt is concerned about making us a better society by making education seems important, but on the other hand, I am sad to see that as they move on to do so, it has slowly mould the society to one, that is too education minded...with that, I end my so call movie review hahaha

No comments: